Man charged with driving Toyota carjacked in Lincoln Park last weekend — and with having a gun in the car

Jordan Ross | CPD

Prosecutors have charged an 18-year-old man with driving a car hijacked in Lincoln Park last week and with having a loaded handgun on the passenger seat.

The car was taken from a man in the 2400 block of North Burling around 9:20 p.m. on Saturday, June 12. He told police two men demanded the keys to his 2013 Toyota Camry while pointing a gun at him. He complied, and they drove away with his car.

Around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, a CPD license plate reader detected the hijacked car traveling near the 7900 block of South Cottage Grove in the Chatham neighborhood. Police located the car in traffic, but before they could try to pull it over, three men bailed out of the Toyota while it was still moving, Assistant State’s Attorney Mike Bagnowski said.

The driver, 18-year-old Jordan Ross, was arrested after a foot chase, Bagnowski said. Police allegedly found the car’s keys in the ignition and a loaded handgun lying on the front passenger seat.

Prosecutors charged him with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, possession of a stolen motor vehicle, and leaving the scene of an accident. He is not accused of committing the carjacking. Bagnowski said that investigation is ongoing.

Ross was AWOL in a pending stolen motor vehicle case at the time of his arrest last week, according to court records.

Ross’ defense attorney argued that two other people were in the car, and the gun was on the passenger seat, not in Ross’ possession. Ross is homeless, the attorney said.

Judge Arthur Willis set bail at $5,000. Ross will need to post $500 to get out of jail on electronic monitoring.

A juvenile who allegedly ran from the car with Ross is charged with criminal trespass to vehicle. The third occupant got away, Bagnowski said.

Update June 16, 2022 — Prosecutors dropped charges in the gun case a few weeks after Ross was arrested, according to court records.

Please support CWBChicago’s reporting efforts with a contribution or subscription. Members-only perks await!

About CWBChicago 6695 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com