Man with pending juvenile robbery case had gun after Near North Side phone snatching, prosecutors say

James Hardin | CPD

An 18-year-old man with a pending juvenile robbery case was carrying a handgun when police arrested him for stealing a man’s phone Tuesday morning on the Near North Side, prosecutors said.

The alleged victim was near Orleans and Oak when someone grabbed his phone around 11:30 a.m. and ran away, according to a CPD report. The man chased after the thief and managed to get his phone back before flagging down a patrol car to report what happened, Assistant State’s Attorney Darryl Auguste said.

Witnesses kept an eye on the thief and pointed officers in his direction. When officers arrested James Hardin nearby, he had a loaded 9-millimeter handgun in his waist, Auguste said.

Prosecutors charged him with felony counts of theft and unlawful use of a weapon.

Judge Mary Marubio noted that the theft charge is “similar to a robbery” in that it involves allegations of taking property from a person directly. “There’s a lot going on here,” the judge said as she reflected on a defense attorney’s statement that Hardin is experiencing homelessness.

She then set Hardin’s bail at $5,000. He must go onto electronic monitoring if he manages to post a 10% deposit bond. Hardin will also be held without bail on the juvenile robbery warrant.

Facts first. 100% reader-funded. Click here to support CWBChicago today.

About CWBChicago 6689 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com