Parolee knocked Roscoe Village man unconscious during robbery, prosecutors say

Elraheem Wilkins (2019) | CPD

A four-time convicted felon who was released early from prison on a gun charge just two months ago knocked a 61-year-old unconscious during a street robbery in Roscoe Village, prosecutors said.

Elraheem Wilkins, 27, first went to prison after he unwittingly targeted an off-duty cop during a 2013 home invasion. He was released in 2016 then went back to prison for two narcotics cases. He was released again in 2018. And he was arrested the next year for being a felon in possession of a firearm. State officials released him on May 28 after he served half of the three-year sentence he received in the gun case.

Around 11:10 p.m. Monday, a Roscoe Village man was walking through the back gate of his home on the 3400 block of North Lincoln when Wilkins and a woman approached him, and Wilkins asked for a cigarette, Assistant State’s Attorney Robert Cannatello said during a bond court hearing Wednesday.

As the victim handed over a cigarette, Wilkins punched him in the head, knocking the man to the ground and causing him to lose consciousness temporarily, Cannatello said. The victim noticed Wilkins going through his pockets and eventually realized that about $200 cash and a phone were missing from his pockets, according to Cannatello.

Police found Wilkins as he and the woman walked into a CVS at 3630 North Southport shortly before midnight. The victim identified him as the attacker, Cannatello said.

Prosecutors charged Wilkins with robbery and burglary, but Cannatello did not provide the burglary allegations. CWBChicago reported Tuesday that a North Center man identified Wilkins as the man who burglarized his car on the 4000 block of North Campbell around 9:40 p.m. Monday.

Judge Arthur Willis ordered Wilkins held without bail at the request of the Illinois Department of Corrections, which may revoke Wilkins’ parole. Willis set bail in the new cases at $50,000 and ordered Wilkins to go onto electronic monitoring if he becomes eligible for release.

In February 2013, Wilkins scored headlines when he broke into an off-duty cop’s home in Wicker Park. A contemporaneous Chicago Tribune report said the officer was awakened by the sound of someone walking around his home and then saw someone carrying his laptop.

The cop broke his hand as he wrestled with Wilkins, the paper reported. Wilkins eventually received a seven-year sentence.

Please support CWBChicago’s reporting efforts with a contribution or subscription. Members-only perks await!

About CWBChicago 6792 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is