Man on electronic monitoring for attempted murder had gun during police chase, prosecutors say

Wesley Addison | CPD

Chicago Police Supt. David Brown has repeatedly called for Cook County authorities to stop releasing people accused of murder and other violent crimes on electronic monitoring. But the county’s chief judge, Timothy Evans, denies that putting murderers on electronic monitoring is a problem.

“Only those individuals judged to pose a clear and present danger to society are kept in jail before trial,” Evans said last month.

Apparently, the judge does not consider a paroled gun offender accused of shooting a man who’s running away to be a “clear and present danger.”

Meet Wesley Addison.

Late Tuesday night, cops on patrol in the Gresham neighborhood pulled over a car wanted by authorities in Riverdale, according to prosecutors. Addison, on electronic monitoring for attempted murder, allegedly bolted from the driver’s seat.

Cops chased him and clearly saw a handgun sticking out of an open book bag he was carrying, Assistant State’s Attorney Darryl Auguste said. Officers caught him and seized the loaded handgun, according to Auguste.

Addison was on electronic monitoring because he allegedly shot a man in 2017 while on parole for illegally possessing a handgun.

Auguste said Addison pulled out a gun during an argument with the victim on May 19, 2017. Addison allegedly fired at the man as he ran away, shooting him in the leg and grazing his chin. According to court records, he’s charged with six counts of attempted murder and three other felonies in that case.

Interestingly, while Addison was awaiting trial for the gun case that eventually sent him to prison, he was arrested for threatening another person with a handgun. But prosecutors dropped that case.

Addison also has a pending narcotics case that he picked up while on electronic monitoring for the attempted murder.

His defense attorney said he is 25, has three kids, and he graduated high school earlier this year.

Prosecutors charged him with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon in connection with this week’s incident. Judge Mary Marubio ordered him held without bail for violating the terms of his release in the attempted murder case. She also held him without bail on the new gun charge.

Another one

Addison was the second accused attempted murderer to appear in Chicago’s felony bond court on new charges this week.

Monday, prosecutors charged 36-year-old Raymond Stewart with multiple narcotics felonies after police allegedly found him carrying 49 Xanax pills, three grams of cocaine, and a digital scale on his moped.

Stewart was on electronic monitoring for an attempted murder case. Prosecutors said he has six previous felonies, including two for guns, two for narcotics, and one for aggravated battery.

His defense attorney said he works as a gas station security guard.

Judge Marubio ordered him held without bail for violating bond in the attempted murder case. She gave him a recognizance bond with (Surprise!) electronic monitoring on the new charges.

Would you mind supporting CWBChicago’s reporting efforts with a contribution or subscription?

About CWBChicago 6693 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is