Update September 7, 10:15 a.m. — According to a newly-released statement from CPD, the Lakefront Trail victim’s injuries were self-inflicted.
Update September 7, 11:21 a.m. — “The gun involved was in the possession of the victim. There was no intent to fire the weapon, and the gun went off because it was being mishandled,” Ald. Brian Hopkins (2nd) said in an email to constituents late Tuesday morning.
A man is recovering after someone shot him on the Lakefront Trail in Streeterville on Monday evening, police said.
The 28-year-old victim told police he was sitting along the bike path on the 800 block of North Lake Shore Drive around 7:15 p.m. when he heard gunfire and realized he’d been shot in his right buttock, according to police.
He told police he did not know where the shot came from. Police did not receive any calls of shots fired in the area, but investigators did recover a bullet fragment at the scene, according to a CPD report.
Area Three detectives are handling the investigation.
Monday’s shooting capped off a particularly violent eight days for the downtown area:
- Last Sunday, a 32-year-old man was critically wounded when a woman allegedly shot him at point-blank range outside Boss Bar, 420 North Clark, in River North. Charges have been filed in the case.
- Also last Sunday, a 21-year-old was shot while driving on Lower Wacker Drive at Michigan Avenue, according to police. He was listed in good condition.
- Jessica Vilaythong, a 24-year-old Chase bank employee, was fatally stabbed inside the company’s branch at 600 North Dearborn on Wednesday morning. Charges have been filed in that case, too.
- Two men were shot early Thursday on the corner of State and Illinois in River North. No arrests have been made.
- A CTA bus driver was seriously injured Saturday evening by a man who allegedly shot him in the jaw during a confrontation at end of the route near Washington and Michigan. Dennis Green, 38, is due in bond court Tuesday to face charges.
- Later on Saturday, a 28-year-old man crashed his car after someone shot him in the foot during an apparent road rage incident on the 600 block of South Michigan.