Robbery victim shot in the Loop on Sunday evening

An 18-year-old man who was shot during an armed robbery downtown on Sunday evening is the Loop’s second shooting victim of the weekend. With more than three months left in the year, the neighborhood has already blown past 2020’s record-high shooting numbers and has logged five shootings in the past two weeks.

Police said the victim was walking on Roosevelt Road just west of State Street when two men confronted him with firearms and demanded his wallet around 6:30 p.m.

He handed over his wallet, but one of the offenders shot him in the leg anyway, according to a CPD media statement.

The man went to Glenbrook Hospital in north suburban Glenview for treatment. He was listed in fair condition.

He is the Loop’s 22nd shooting victim so far this year. By comparison, the neighborhood had 18 shooting victims for the entirety of 2020 and only three shootings for all of 2019.

Around 2:30 a.m. Sunday, a man was traveling in his car when his driver’s side window shattered near 50 West Ida B. Wells, according to police. The 24-year-old victim realized he had been shot and sought help from officers who were working on an unrelated matter near Jackson and Columbus. He told police he didn’t know where the shots came from or who shot him. Officers found shell casings near a gas station at the shooting scene.

In other recent Loop incidents:

  • A 28-year-old man was shot during an apparent road rage incident on the 600 block of South Michigan at 11:45 p.m. Saturday, September 4. There have been no arrests.
  • A CTA bus driver was shot in the face by a passenger who allegedly became enraged when he was asked to get off the bus at the end of its route on the first block of East Washington around 8:53 p.m. on Saturday, September 4. Dennis Green, 38, is charged with attempted murder in the case.
  • A 21-year-old man was shot while driving with his pregnant girlfriend and another passenger on Lower Wacker Drive near Michigan Avenue around 12:30 a.m. on August 29. No arrests have been made.

Would you mind supporting CWBChicago’s reporting efforts with a contribution or subscription?

About CWBChicago 6555 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com