Lakeview man charged with sexually assaulting women he met in bars in 2019 and 2014

Jorge Acevedo | CPD

A 44-year-old Lakeview man has been charged with sexually assaulting two women he allegedly met in nightclubs — one in 2019 and another in 2014.

Judge Maryam Ahmad set bail for Jorge Acevedo at $250,000. He went home on electronic monitoring by posting a 10% deposit bond, according to court records.

The first victim, who was 23 at the time, filed a police report in December 2014 after she went to a bar and woke up in Acevedo’s apartment on the 900 block of West Belmont with him lying on top of her naked, according to CPD records.

She went to a hospital for treatment and a sexual assault evidence kit was collected, a police report said. The victim identified Acevedo by name in her report and picked him out of a photo line-up, according to the report.

But, for reasons that are not clear, Acevedo was not charged until this month after a second woman was allegedly assaulted..

A spokesperson for the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office said it did not have a copy of the proffer prosecutors presented during Acevedo’s bond hearing, which might contain details to explain why the case was not charged earlier.

The second victim, who was 24 at the time of the alleged attack, told police she was out drinking for a celebration on September 22, 2019, when she realized she was in a white car that she did not recognize, a CPD report said.

She later woke up alone and naked in Acevedo’s apartment on the 3100 block of North Cambridge, not knowing where she was or how she got there, the report continued.

The woman told investigators that she remembered having sex with Acevedo and she went to Rush Hospital for a criminal sexual assault examination and evidence collection, the report said.

DNA testing of both sexual assault kits linked the two cases and members of the U.S. Marshals fugitive task force arrested Acevedo at a Loop hotel where he works on January 19, according to CPD records.

Prosecutors charged him with two felony counts of criminal sexual assault. He was released on electronic monitoring on January 24, according to court records.

Our original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please make a contribution to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.

About CWBChicago 6676 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com