Another South Loop shooting leaves man critically wounded Saturday night

A 30-year-old man is in critical condition following a shooting in the South Loop late Saturday night. It happened two blocks from where a man was killed in an apparent carjacking last weekend, but the circumstances of the crimes are different.

The man was shot in an alley behind the 2200 block of South Michigan, near Wintrust Arena and not far from several hotels. | Multiplottr

Police said the latest victim was standing in an alley on the 2200 block of South Michigan when a gunman fired shots from a gray sedan around 11:29 p.m. He was struck twice in the chest. Another round flew through the window of a nearby parking garage.

A witness saw the victim run to a nearby car, which drove him to Northwestern Memorial Hospital. There, another witness saw police inspecting the Audi SUV, which reportedly had two guns inside. An officer said the victim’s companions were not being cooperative.

After the shooting, but before continuing to Northwestern, the driver reportedly made a quick pitstop at a nearby hotel and rooftop bar on the 100 block of East Cermak. Police later found blood outside the businesses.

Area Three detectives are investigating the shooting.

They are also handling last weekend’s murder of 44-year-old Jacek Rudnicki just a couple of blocks away.

Police responded to 24th Street and Michigan Avenue at 5:05 a.m. last Sunday after a passerby found Rudnicki lying in the street just west of Michigan. Rudnicki was lying amidst broken auto glass as if he were about to enter a vehicle, but no car was next to him. He suffered two gunshot wounds to his back and was pronounced dead at the scene. Officers found shell casings near his body.

Investigators later confirmed that someone took a white 2015 Mercedes GLA that he was driving. Police were exploring the possibility that he may have been killed in a carjacking, a source said.

Would you please support CWBChicago’s reporting efforts with a contribution or subscription?

About CWBChicago 6360 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com