Man accused of stealing 14-year-old’s phone disagrees with judge’s bail decision: ‘You must think I’m f*cking made out of money or something!’

Kendale Chavez | CPD

When we last told you about Kendale Chavez, it was almost Christmas and he had just told a bond court judge that the burglary charges prosecutors filed against him were “bullsh*t.”

Chavez was just as colorful when he appeared in bond court again Wednesday to face new charges after allegedly stealing a 14-year-old’s phone in Rogers Park.

The judge ordered him held in lieu of $20,000 bail.

“You must think I’m f*cking made out of money or something!” Chavez popped off in response to Judge Susana Ortiz’s order. She also ordered him held without bail for violating the bond terms in those burglary still-pending burglary cases.

The 14-year-old boy was on the 1500 block of West Albion when Chavez, 25, rode up to him on a bike around 5:30 p.m. Monday, according to police and Assistant State’s Attorney Sean Kelly.

Chavez ordered the teen to hand over his stuff and then rode away with the boy’s iPhone and iPod, Kelly said.

Police tracked the phone’s signal and arrested Chavez Tuesday. He was allegedly carrying the phone when they found him. At the police station, Chavez flailed his arms and pretended to head butt officers before they got him under control, Kelly said.

Prosecutors charged him with theft, assault, and three narcotics counts.

Assistant Public Defender Suzin Farber said Chavez has been working for DoorDash and is the father of two.

‘Bullsh*t’

In December, Assistant State’s Attorney Loukas Kalliantasis said Chavez was caught carrying a bag containing a pry bar, screwdriver, black gloves, a key fob duplicator, and a set of keys that were allegedly taken from inside a man’s West Rogers Park apartment.

“That’s bullsh*t, bro,” Chavez interjected as Kalliantasis ran down the list of things police allegedly found in his bag.

“As much as you might find that an eloquent argument,” Judge David Navarro replied, “It’s not gonna work on your behalf.”

It was the third burglary-related prosecutors filed against Chavez since May.

All things considered, Chavez has historically enjoyed spectacular success in criminal cases ranging from home invasion to assault with a machete to burglary, according to court records. 

In November 2018, he was charged with aggravated battery causing great bodily harm for beating a senior citizen in an Uptown alley, according to court records. He received three years for that case, which is the most serious punishment he ever received.

One month before that incident, he was charged with theft and possession of a controlled substance on the North Side. He went AWOL until police arrested him in the Uptown attack, records show. Prosecutors dropped the theft and possession charges ten days later.

And two months before that, he was charged with two misdemeanor counts of aggravated assault with a machete in Cicero. Prosecutors dropped the charges at his next court appearance.

One year earlier, in 2017, he was charged with Class X felony home invasion. Prosecutors allowed him to plead guilty to a reduced charge of misdemeanor criminal trespass to a residence. He received probation, Kalliantasis said.

Our exclusive and original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please make a contribution to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.

About CWBChicago 6583 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com