Victims of Loop double-shooting were not the intended targets, Chicago police say

The two men who were shot in an alley near the Chicago Theatre on Sunday evening were not the intended targets of the gunfire, Chicago police said Monday afternoon.

CPD Chief of Detectives Brendan Deenihan said the events leading up to the shooting began moments earlier when three men robbed or stole property from three other men inside a “taco place” on the 100 block of North Wabash. CPD Supt. David Brown later identified the restaurant as Taco Bell.

Benton Place, an alley-like street, runs south of the Chicago Theatre between State and Wabash. | Google

The three robbery victims chased the three thieves outside and then began shooting at the offenders, Deenihan said. Those rounds traveled down Benton Place and struck two men who were standing outside the theater’s back entrance.

A 55-year-old man, who was on break from his job as a stagehand at the theater, suffered a gunshot wound to his ear. Deenihan said the bullet exited the back of the man’s neck. Another bullet struck a 27-year-old man in the right hand. Both men are in good condition.

Deenihan said CPD may release video or still images of the shooting suspects.

A source with knowledge of the investigation said the Taco Bell incident involved a stick-up crew that targeted some local drug dealers.

Facts first. 100% reader-funded. Click here to support CWBChicago today.

About CWBChicago 6759 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com