Food delivery driver opened fire on car thief at Popeye’s, prosecutors say

A food delivery driver opened fire on a car thief who stole her car outside a Popeye’s restaurant in Rogers Park on Monday afternoon, officials said. She is now facing a felony charge, but as for the thief, well, they have yet to be found.

Monique Logan parked her car and ran into the chicken restaurant at 1959 West Howard around 2 p.m. When she came out three minutes later, someone was driving away with her vehicle.

Prosecutors said Chicago police surveillance video shows Logan running out of Popeye’s, pulling a gun from a red bag, pointing it into the air, then lowering it in the direction of her rapidly departing car.

Monique Logan was arrested at Popeye’s, 1959 West Howard. | CPD; Google

Police arrived to take her stolen car report, but the investigation took an unexpected turn when witnesses told police that she had fired “several gunshots” toward the car, a prosecutor said during Logan’s bail hearing on Tuesday afternoon.

Cops allegedly found seven shell casings at the scene and confiscated a 9-millimeter handgun from inside a red bag that one of the restaurant’s employees handed over. There were no live bullets in the gun.

Logan, 34, does not have a license to own firearms in Illinois or to carry a concealed weapon, officials said. She is charged with aggravated discharge of a firearm.

Her public defender said she works full-time for Grubhub, Uber Eats, and DoorDash.

Judge Mary Marubio ordered her to pay a $500 deposit toward bail to get out of jail.

Last October, Chicago Police Sgt. Oneta Sampson Carney was charged with reckless discharge of a firearm after she allegedly opened fire on juveniles who stole her SUV while she was loading it with groceries outside an Evergreen Park store. Carney was off duty at the time. No injuries were reported, but the Civilian Office of Police Accountability recommended that she be fired in light of the allegations. The matter is before the Chicago Police Board, according to the Sun-Times.

Our exclusive and original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please contribute to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.

About CWBChicago 6695 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com