Man gets 6 years for South Loop shooting

Carlos Cheyenne Rodriguez pleaded guilty to shooting a man in the 1100 block of South Clinton. | CPD; Multplottr

A man who shot another man during a dispute in the South Loop two years ago has been sentenced to six years in prison. Carlos Cheyenne Rodriguez pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated battery by discharging a firearm in a deal with prosecutors. In turn, they dropped nine other felonies, including five counts of attempted murder.

On the afternoon of August 3, 2020, Rodriguez and the victim became involved in a dispute in the 1100 of South Clinton. Prosecutors said the victim, who was critically wounded, had mental health issues and may have been perceived as an aggressor. But the man was not armed, authorities said.

Cops arrested Rodriguez in a nearby parking garage.

Even though the victim “may have mental health issues… an individual who otherwise would not have been shot was shot” because Rodriguez had a firearm illegally, Judge David Navarro said during Rodriguez’s initial bail hearing.

Judge Kenneth Wadas sentenced Rodriguez, who is scheduled to be released from prison on June 13, 2024.

You can support CWBChicago’s start-to-finish tracking of court cases by becoming a subscriber.

About CWBChicago 6563 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com