More than 30 rounds were fired in Old Town overnight, killing a man who was awaiting sentencing on federal gun charges

A man who was awaiting sentencing on federal gun charges was killed in a hail of automatic gunfire in Old Town overnight. Chicago police said they found more than 30 shell casings at the scene.

Officers in the area reported the sound of automatic gunfire just after midnight and soon found the victim, 31, lying in the 1300 block of North Hudson. Cops administered CPR, but the man, who suffered a gunshot wound to his chest, died at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

Bullet holes were seen in nearby apartment windows and parked cars, but no other injuries were reported.

Authorities have not publicly disclosed the man’s identity, but he is well-known in the neighborhood and struck a plea agreement with federal prosecutors this summer on a charge of being a felon in possession of a firearm. According to court documents, he was scheduled to be sentenced on October 12, with a probable sentence of 92 to 115 months.

The federal case began three years ago with state charges after he bailed out of a car, leaving a stolen handgun in the driver’s seat. Chicago cops chased the man a short distance from his vehicle and arrested him at the exact address where he was killed this morning, according to law enforcement records. 

In the man’s plea agreement, federal prosecutors said he was convicted of state gun and narcotics charges in 2010, then convicted of manufacturer-delivery in 2012 and 2013. In 2019, he was found guilty of possessing a controlled substance, aggravated fleeing, and unlawful use of a weapon.

He is the 52nd person shot on the Near North Side this year. That compares to 37 at this point in both 2021 and 2020. 

Update 5:24 p.m. on September 4, 2022—The Cook County medical examiner’s office identified the victim as Garvis C. Jones.

Our exclusive and original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please contribute to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.

About CWBChicago 6694 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com