8-time felon who shot and robbed man on the Red Line also robbed a Loop sporting goods store: prosecutors

Prosecutors on Wednesday said an eight-time felon who shot and robbed a CTA passenger during a robbery on a Red Line train in July also robbed a sporting goods store in downtown Chicago less than three weeks earlier.

Pierre Garrett, 34, was already being held without bail for the CTA robbery and shooting when police connected him to the Loop hold-up this week.

Shortly before noon on June 21, a man entered Lids, 125 South State, and went to the check-out counter with six jerseys — two each for Anthony Davis, Dennis Rodman, and Shaquille O’Neal, prosecutors said.

When the manager asked how the customer wanted to pay, he said, “We’re going to make this easy,” then stuffed the jerseys into a bag and started to walk out.

The manager followed him until the thief pulled out a knife and threatened to stab him if he didn’t back up.

Video showed the robber brandishing the knife and escaping on the Red Line at State Street. CTA video showed the same man showing the newly-stolen jerseys to another passenger as they rode the train, according to prosecutors.

Police recently identified the robber as Garrett, and the store manager identified him on Tuesday, prosecutors said. He is charged with armed robbery.

On the evening of July 8, less than three weeks after the robbery, Garrett allegedly shot a man on the Red Line near 69th Street.

During a bail hearing this summer, prosecutors said Garrett pointed a gun at the victim on the train and said something to the effect of, “Give it all up.”

Among the items the victim removed from his pockets was a knife, which he used to slash Garrett’s face, prosecutors said. Garrett allegedly shot the man twice in the shoulder, then took his phone and backpack.

Another passenger who allegedly heard and saw the incident followed Garrett from the train station at 69th Street and directed police toward him, prosecutors said. Cops found Garrett lying in a gangway, bleeding from a slash wound to his face.

Prosecutors charged him with attempted first-degree murder, aggravated battery by discharging a firearm, and armed robbery with a firearm. Judge Mary Marubio held him without bail on July 10.

His felony convictions include fleeing and eluding cases in 2019 and 2013; robbery in 2017 and twice in 2005; and retail theft in 2010 and 2016. In 2020, he received a seven-year sentence for driving while intoxicated and causing injury in Missouri, but the sentence was suspended and replaced with five years of probation, according to prosecutors.

He is a high school graduate who lives with his partner and three children, according to a public defender.

On Wednesday, Judge Maryam Ahmad set bail at $250,000 for the Loop robbery allegations.

About CWBChicago 6695 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com