Chicago police are investigating a wave of robberies, some of which were violent, that occurred after midnight Sunday in Humboldt Park, Logan Square, and West Town. The number of robbery crews involved in the spree is unknown.
It all began around 2 a.m., when three or four men fought with another man while robbing him at gunpoint in the 1200 block of North Ashland.
“They do this every Saturday (night),” an officer radioed after the call was dispatched.
His words were prophetic. At least nine more robberies were reported in the area over the next four hours, according to initial CPD reports:
- Two men pistol-whipped and robbed a woman in the 3100 block of West North Avenue around 2:30 a.m. and fled in a blue sedan.
- Three men robbed a woman and her fiance in the 900 block of North Francisco around 3 a.m.
- Two men robbed a woman at gunpoint in the 800 block of North Sacramento around 3:30 a.m., then fled in a gold car.
Then, two robberies were reported moments apart in the 3200 block of West Armitage around 4:40 a.m.
A 34-year-old man was inside a car when three offenders confronted him with a pistol and demanded his property, according to a Chicago police spokesperson. The offenders all entered his car, a white 2015 Volkswagen Golf, and fled the scene.
Moments later, three men exited a dark-colored sedan and robbed a 27-year-old man on the same block, according to the police spokesperson said.
The robberies continued, according to police reports:
- A victim was robbed at Kedzie and Potomac around 4:45 a.m. by a crew that arrived in a blue Kia
- Two men pistol-whipped a robbery victim, knocking him unconscious in the 3400 block of West LeMoyne around 5:45 a.m. The victim was taken to Norwegian Hospital for treatment. According to a witness, the robbers arrived in a Kia SUV that appeared to be dark gray.
- A man reported that an armed robber confronted him near Armitage and Kedzie around 5:40 a.m., but he punched the robber and got away.
- At 6:35 a.m., two men put a gun to another man’s head in the 1600 block of North Kedzie. They pistol-whipped him, robbed him, and escaped in a small SUV.
- Two men confronted a man and robbed him at gunpoint as he got into his car in the 2500 block of West Augusta around 6:30 a.m.
- Two men robbed a victim in the 1200 block of North Washtenaw, taking his wallet and phone around 6:45 a.m.
Sunday’s robberies occurred in CPD’s Near West (12th) District and Shakespeare (14th) District.
Overall major crime reports are up 52% in Near West compared to last year and 29% compared to 2018, according to CPD data. Robberies are up 22% over last year.
In Shakespeare, overall major crimes are up 33% from last year, 36% compared to 2020, and 7% compared to 2021. It’s down 1% compared to 2018. Robberies in Shakespeare are at a five-year high, up 20% over last year and 24% compared to 2018.