Gunman killed 2 people with one bullet during altercation in the South Loop, prosecutors say

Chicago — Prosecutors on Friday said a suburban man killed two people with one bullet during a fight outside a South Loop business in September.

Andre Nelson, 57, was ordered held without bail on two counts of first-degree murder by Judge Susana Ortiz.

The events leading up to the shooting began early on September 10 while Nelson and his longtime friend, Luis Delgado, were at Windy City Ribs & Whiskey, 67 East Cermak Road.

Andre Nelson and Windy City Ribs and Whiskey | Chicago Police Department; Google

Delgado, 40, began arguing with another man, 30-year-old Andre Deal, outside the restaurant, leading both Delgado and Nelson to show that they had firearms, prosecutor Christopher Nugarus said.

After the men put their guns away, Deal punched Delgado, and the men began to fight physically, according to Nugarus. During the altercation, Delgado drew his weapon again and fired a shot, but the bullet flew through the restaurant window and did not strike anyone, according to Nugarus. Deal eventually put Delgado into a headlock and wrestled him to the ground.

At that point, Nugarus said, Nelson walked up behind Deal and shot him twice in the back. One of the bullets passed entirely through Deal and entered Delgado’s back. The round severed Delgado’s spinal cord and instantly paralyzed him, Nugarus said. Deal ran a short distance before collapsing. Both men died from gunshot wounds.

Nelson left the area on foot, but police identified him through video and other evidence, according to Nugarus. Investigators arrested Nelson on Thursday.

He has four felony convictions, most recently a federal heroin possession case, Nugarus said. He was convicted of voluntary manslaughter in 1984 and manufacture-delivery of heroin and operating a criminal drug conspiracy in 1998.

Nelson’s private defense attorney said he has been married for 30 years and is the father of four. He and his wife have operated a clothing and apparel company for ten years.

Facts first. 100% reader-funded. Click here to support CWBChicago today.

About CWBChicago 6583 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com