UPDATE: Red Line shooter still on the loose, CPD says; video released

Chicago police say this is the man who shot a 16-year-old boy on the Red Line near Chinatown on December 18, 2022. | Chicago Police Department

Chicago — The man who shot a 16-year-old boy in the head while riding a Red Line train near Cermak-Chinatown is still on the loose, Chicago police said on Sunday evening.

CPD previously told the media that a man matching the gunman’s description was in custody, and a handgun had been recovered shortly after the shooting, which occurred on a southbound train around 2:05 a.m.

But after reviewing video from the CTA train, detectives determined that the man who was arrested was not the shooter and Chicago police released a community alert as they try to track down the offender.

Police released a portion of the train’s video footage, which shows a man pulling out a gun seconds before the victim was shot in the eye and ear.

Anyone with information about the suspect can call Area One detectives at 312-747-8380.

Witnesses provided police with a description of the gunman at the scene. Officers searched the area and found a gun near the entrance to Ping Tom Memorial Park at 19th and Wells, according to a source. Moments later, they arrested a man who matched the suspect’s description nearby. But he was not involved in the shooting and now the search is on to find the gunman.

Our original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please contribute to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.