Chicago, county officials take precautionary measures ahead of Memphis police video release

Daley Plaza and the south entrances to the Daley Center are seen in an April 2020 file photo. | CWB Chicago

Chicago — Officials in Chicago are taking precautionary measures as Memphis authorities prepare to release video that reportedly shows five of that city’s police officers badly beating a man on January 7. Tyre Nichols, 29, later died of his injuries.

The five officers have been fired and were charged with second-degree murder on Thursday.

Speaking with Good Morning America today, Memphis Police Chief Cerelyn “CJ” Davis said she has seen the video and, “I would have to say I don’t think I’ve ever been more horrified and disgusted.”

In Memphis, Shelby County District Attorney Steve Mulroy said the video would be released after 6 p.m. today.

Locally, the Chicago Police Department ran a series of mobilization drills to test its ability to secure the Central Business District and other critical areas, according to police radio traffic.

Late Thursday night, some police districts began providing “special attention” to retail corridors that were hard-hit by looters in 2020.

Also on Friday, Transwestern, the company that manages the Daley Center, emailed tenants about “potential civil unrest preparedness and response” in light of the video release.

The memo said building management and the Cook County’s sheriff’s office are working together to prepare for potential issues. Security in the lobby and pedways has been increased, the memo said. Workers were also advised that some entrances and exits may be closed, and metal detector screening may become mandatory for everyone who enters the building.

“Loose furniture items” in Daley Plaza and other parts of the building were also “properly secured inside the building,” the memo said, and “close monitoring of these areas will continue.”

Original reporting that you’ll see nowhere else. CWB’s work is 100% paid for by our subscribers.

About CWBChicago 6681 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com