Chicago police are warning about a series of auto thefts from parking garages in Streeterville, River North, and Goose Island.
CPD said victims have parked their cars inside garages and returned to find them missing, but police did not say how the cars were stolen. Interestingly, none of the stolen vehicles listed on CPD’s alert are Hyundais or Kias, two models with faulty ignition designs that make them easy to steal by using a USB plug as a key.
Police linked five crimes to the pattern:
- the theft of a 2011 Chevrolet from 40 East Grand on the evening of January 6
- the theft of a 2018 Jeep from the Hancock Building, 875 North Michigan, on the evening of January 8
- the theft of a 2016 Jeep from 305 West Ontario on the morning of January 13
- the theft of a 2021 Dodge from the NBC Tower garage, 201 East Illinois, on the evening of January 15
- the theft of a 2018 Dodge from the Greyhound station, 901 North Halsted, on the morning of January 16
The community alert did not provide any descriptions of the thieves. Tips about the crimes can be shared with Area Three detectives at 312-744-8263.