Authorities identify the man who was fatally shot by Chicago police in Irving Park

Chicago — The man who was shot and killed by Chicago police officers in Irving Park this week has been identified as 21-year-old Isidro Valverde. The Cook County medical examiner’s office said Valverde died from multiple gunshot wounds.

Chicago police officers looking for a man who reportedly threatened people with a gun outside Christina’s Place bar, 3759 North Kedzie, around 3 a.m. Wednesday encountered Valverde near the 3700 block of North Troy.

Isidro Valverde and the entrance to an alley where authorities said he was shot. | GoFundMe; Google

He ran from officers, fell upon entering an alley, and was shot by police when he tried to get back up as they ordered him to stay down, according to COPA, Chicago’s police oversight agency.

An officer who radioed that police had shot someone said Valverde still had a gun in his hand after being shot. CPD Supt. David Brown said Valverde’s weapon had an extended ammunition magazine attached.

Citing body camera footage, Brown also said on Wednesday that there had been an “apparent exchange of gunfire” between the officers and Valverde. But COPA issued a statement on Thursday saying it was “unclear” if Valverde had fired his weapon.

CWBChicago reported exclusively on Wednesday that an officer who shot Valverde radioed that police fired their weapons, but he specifically did not say that officers were fired upon when a dispatcher asked what happened.

The detail may or may not be relevant to determining if the shooting was justified. But Brown’s statement, if shown to be untrue, could be another blow to CPD’s credibility as a source of information about officer-involved shootings.

Two officers involved in the shooting, a newly-hired probationary officer and a veteran of 12 years, have been placed on administrative duties for 30 days per department policy.

Valverde lived in the 3900 block of North Christiana, less than a half-mile from the bar where patrons and an employee said he had threatened them with a gun while referring to gang affiliations.

Cook County court records reviewed by CWB Chicago show he had no adult criminal convictions. In 2020, prosecutors charged him with possessing cocaine during a traffic stop, but the case was dismissed by a judge who found no probable cause six weeks later.

Four months later, in May 2020, he was charged with manufacture-delivery of between 500 and 2000 grams of cannabis during a traffic stop. Prosecutors dropped the case when he appeared for his bail hearing the next day.

According to a GoFundMe campaign that appeared early Saturday, Valverde had a young son.

“He was loved by many, he had a good sense of humor and enjoyed being around his loved ones,” the fundraising pitch said. “Isidro was always willing to help others and had a smile on his face. He loved his only son unconditionally.”

Our original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please contribute to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.

About CWBChicago 6713 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com