‘Suspicious person’ call leads to burglary arrest in Bucktown, prosecutors say

Chicago — A 911 call about suspicious people carrying packages in Bucktown helped Chicago police bring charges in three recent burglary cases around the area, prosecutors said. But the accused man’s bigger problem may be his failure to register as a sex offender.

Jaime Alverio, 44, was convicted of misdemeanor sexual exploitation of a child in 2002, but he has been convicted of felony failure to register five times since then. In 2018, he received a five-year sentence for not keeping his registration up-to-date, prosecutors said.

Now, he’s facing the same charge again, along with two counts of burglary and attempted residential burglary.

Jaime Alverio and the approximate locations of the alleged burglaries. | Cook County sheriff’s office

He was arrested Thursday morning after a witness reported seeing two men carrying packages in the 2000 block of West Moffat around 9 a.m. While interviewing him during a street stop, officers learned he was wanted in a string of burglary cases.

Prosecutors said surveillance cameras recorded Alverio using a screwdriver to break into a condo building in the 1300 block of North Artesian in Humboldt Park around 3:30 a.m. on New Year’s Eve.

He allegedly took a stack of boxes from the vestibule, put items into a tote bag, and rode away on a bike. Prosecutors said he told officers that he remembered the boxes only contained Christmas decorations, which he left in an alley.

Other video footage showed him committing similar break-ins in the 3000 block of West Lyndale on January 6 and the 2200 block of North Leavitt on January 9, prosecutors alleged.

Police also learned that he hasn’t registered as a sex offender since June, even though he must do so weekly.

Alverio’s public defender said he has addiction issues and has been working on sobriety and trying to get a job.

Judge Maryam Ahmad ordered him to pay a $7,000 bail deposit to get out of jail before trial.

Please support CWBChicago’s reporting efforts with a contribution or subscription.

About CWBChicago 6769 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com