Chicago — An Uptown man who is on electronic monitoring for a pending gun case is charged with firing a gun inside his apartment on Wednesday afternoon, leading to an hours-long standoff with a Chicago police SWAT team.
Juan Manon Jr., 23, will appear in bond court on Thursday to face a new charge of reckless discharge of a firearm, according to a CPD media statement.
Officers responded to the 900 block of West Cuyler after a resident reported that his next-door neighbor, who had been yelling all morning, had fired gunshots around 1:30 p.m. The first Chicago police officers on the scene radioed that they heard gunfire coming from the man’s apartment, too.
Manon surrendered to the police around 6 p.m. More information about exactly what police and prosecutors believe happened should be revealed during Manon’s bond hearing on Friday afternoon.
Court records show he is on electronic monitoring for a felony gun charge filed against him last summer. Officials said he was on probation for yet another gun charge at the time of his arrest last year.
In July 2022 incident, Chicago police responded to a trespassing call just a couple of doors down from where this week’s SWAT incident occurred. Officers found Manon unconscious inside an apartment that was under construction with a backpack lying next to him, prosecutors said.
The fire department transported Manon to a hospital for treatment, and police, hoping to find identification for the unconscious man, looked inside the backpack. They allegedly found his ID inside the bag along with a loaded 9-millimeter handgun.
He was supposed to appear in court for a routine case hearing on Thursday, but he didn’t make it because he was in police custody, according to court records.
At the time of that arrest, Manon was on probation for yet another gun case, which prosecutors allowed him to plead down from a felony to a misdemeanor, according to court records.
Facts first. 100% reader-funded. Click here to support CWBChicago today.