18 years for sex offender who raped Chicago woman while on bail

CHICAGO — A Chicago man charged with raping and robbing a woman in Logan Square while on bail for failing to register as a sex offender has been sentenced to 18 years.

Hector Olivo, 58, pleaded guilty to aggravated criminal sexual assault while armed with a weapon in exchange for the sentence from Judge James Obbish. Olivo, who must serve 85% of the sentence, is scheduled to be paroled in 2037.

Olivo must register as a sex offender because he was convicted of unlawful restraint of a 16-year-old in 2002. The case was pleaded down from criminal sexual assault.

Since then, he has been sent to prison four times for failing to comply with the state’s sex offender registration laws. In September 2020, Chicago police arrested him again for the same thing. Court records show that he was released on his own recognizance the next day by Judge Charles Beach.

Olivo stopped showing up for court and, two months after a warrant was issued for his arrest, he attacked a 49-year-old woman as she walked home from a Logan Square sandwich shop.

It happened around 5 p.m. on March 14, 2021.

Hector Olivo and the approximate location of the attack. | Cook County sheriff’s office; Google

Olivo, who had never met the woman before, pressed something to her back and said he had a knife while forcing her into a stairwell in the 1800 block of North Maplewood, prosecutors said during his initial bail hearing last year.

In the stairwell, he pulled off the woman’s clothes and sexually assaulted her. The woman lost consciousness during the attack after hitting her head on the concrete stairs, prosecutors said. She woke up to find her pants removed and her wallet missing.

She went to a nearby restaurant and called for help but only reported the robbery at first because she was embarrassed about being sexually assaulted, officials said.

The woman later revealed the truth to workers at a shelter, and they encouraged her to get help. She returned to the hospital that treated her for injuries suffered during the attack and told the staff what happened. They collected DNA samples that, months later, produced a match to Olivo.

Illinois Department of Corrections records show Olivo has been sent to prison repeatedly for failing to register as a sex offender: five years in 2014; six years in 2010; 30 months in 2008; and 18 months in 2005. He received five years for the unlawful restraint case for which he must register and has four additional felony convictions.

Prosecutors dropped nine felonies in Olivo’s plea deal, including kidnapping, armed robbery, and additional counts of criminal sexual assault and criminal sexual abuse.

About CWBChicago 6021 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com