Second man charged in Evanston beach shooting that left 1 dead, 2 injured

A Rogers Park man was charged Friday with participating in the shooting that left an 18-year-old man dead and two 15-year-old boys injured at Clark Street Beach in Evanston on April 12.

Tacorey Magitt, 19, was held without bail during a bond hearing by Judge Anthony Calabrese. The charges come about a month after Jalen Murray, 20, was also charged in the case.

Prosecutors said Magitt, Murray, and a third man walked to the beach shortly before 8 p.m. on April 12. When they arrived, the group encountered Jacquis Irby and Irby’s two brothers, who grew up with Murray and Magitt in the neighborhood, officials said.

The entrance to Clark Street Beach in Evanston. | Google

At some point, one of Irby’s brothers began arguing with Murray. The altercation escalated to pushing and shoving as other people became involved. A park ranger intervened and tried to calm the crowd.

Murray, who had separated from the crowd, walked up to the group, pulled out a gun, and shot several times toward Jaquis Irby at close range, prosecutors have alleged. Irby fell, got up, ran a short distance, and fell again.

Prosecutors said Magitt ran after Irby and fired several shots in his direction. Irby’s brothers ran in the opposite direction, and one of them was shot several times as he fled the gunfire.

Jaquis Irby died. His 15-year-old brother and another 15-year-old boy were injured.

Magitt | CCSO

Investigators found an ammunition magazine at the beach that was a different caliber than the shots allegedly fired by Murray and Magitt, prosecutors said. No video shows any of the victims holding firearms, but police suspect one of the victims may have dropped the magazine.

Magitt is charged with first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder, the same charges that Murray faces.

Murray remains jailed in lieu of a $75,000 bail deposit.

The police response to the shooting drew criticism from some on the Northwestern University campus, which is located near the beach.

“Evanston officials never employed their emergency alert system, and the University took more than 30 minutes to issue its shelter-in-place order, which lasted for slightly more than an hour,” the Daily Northwestern reported on April 14.

About CWBChicago 6796 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is