CHICAGO — A 15-year-old boy is charged with participating in two armed robberies in Logan Square over the weekend, Chicago police said. He is suspected of being part of a holdup crew that has targeted dozens of victims.
Chicago police arrested the boy in the 3400 block of West Fulton on Tuesday evening after he was caught driving one of two cars that had just been used to commit 15 armed robberies in Wicker Park, Bucktown, and West Town.
But he is not charged with any of those robberies.
Instead, police say he is one of the robbers who robbed two food delivery drivers in Logan Square on Saturday.
Chicago police said a 25-year-old food runner was robbed at gunpoint in the 1700 block of North Maplewood around 7:59 p.m. by three or four men who struck him in the face with a handgun and took his money and phone.
A couple of minutes later, a 24-year-old man was robbed while making a delivery in the 1700 block of North Rockwell. This time, six offenders exited two cars, a blue SUV and a silver sedan, to take his phone at gunpoint, police said.
He is charged with two counts of robbery while armed with a firearm and possessing a stolen motor vehicle.
Shortly before police arrested the boy on Tuesday, more than a dozen people were targeted by armed robbers who traveled in a stolen dark-colored sedan and a stolen silver SUV. At least one of those victims was also pistol-whipped.
Robbery sprees have been popping up on an almost daily basis for months. Our reporting has been exhaustive (and exhausting), but here are some recent stories:
- 15 daytime armed robberies reported in about 4 hours Tuesday (September 26, 2023)
- More carjackings and robberies keep Chicago cops running from the West Loop to West Ridge (September 26, 2023)
- Solo Chicago cop chases armed robbers across the city: ‘I’m not going to terminate myself until we crash’ (September 25, 2023)
- Robbery victim shot in Humboldt Park as crime sprees continue (September 24, 2023)
- Rifle-wielding crew commits at least 5 robberies in 20 minutes on Saturday morning (September 23, 2023)
- At least 14 robbed in violent, hour-long robbery spree overnight; 78-year-old beaten by muggers (September 21, 2023)
- Armed robbers strike 3 times in about an hour in Boystown, Lakeview, Uptown (September 19, 2023)
- DePaul students among several targeted in North Side robbery spree; more cases reported in Wicker Park, West Town (September 17, 2023)
- Uber driver carjacked, bicyclist mugged, third victim chased by robbers during overnight crime surge (September 11, 2023)
- Chicago police warn about armed robbers they were ordered to stop chasing; some victims waited hours for CPD to show up (September 10, 2023)
- Women attacked, robbed in a series of robberies near DePaul University campus overnight (September 9, 2023)