Man found shot inside Lakeview YMCA apartment is a homicide victim, medical examiner rules

CHICAGO — The Cook County medical examiner’s office determined on Friday that a man found fatally shot inside a residence at the Lakeview YMCA last weekend is the victim of a homicide. Officials have not publicly identified the 27-year-old man, but an autopsy determined that he died from a gunshot wound to his head, medical examiner records show.

Chicago police are interested in speaking with a man who lived in the apartment where the victim was found, but he is currently recovering after Ohio state troopers shot him following a high-speed pursuit the day after the shooting.

Officers responded around 4:45 a.m. last Saturday to reports of a person shot inside a room on the fourth floor of the YMCA at 3333 North Marshfield. They found the victim, who also lived at the YMCA, unresponsive with a gunshot wound to his head inside the other man’s apartment, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Investigators classified the incident as a possible suicide attempt, but other residents immediately expressed their doubts about that to CWBChicago.

The victim was found directly inside the apartment door with a handgun lying nearby, but the man who lived in the unit was gone. Two residents said the victim and the man who lives in the room where he was found had an ongoing dispute about money.

On Sunday afternoon, Ohio State Highway Patrol troopers spotted a vehicle linked to the missing man outside Findlay, Ohio, and tried to pull it over.

The driver sped away and failed to stop for the police even after stop sticks were deployed, according to local media reports. Troopers eventually forced the vehicle to crash, and it caught fire, one report said.

The driver emerged from the vehicle with a handgun and began walking on the interstate, police said. Police subsequently shot him, but details about any altercation that led to the shooting were not released. Authorities said the man was seriously injured, but no officers were injured.

CWBChicago is not identifying the man by name because he has not been charged with any wrongdoing in the Chicago case.

In 2018, an 83-year-old resident of the Lakeview YMCA was murdered in his room, also on the building’s fourth floor. Arthur Cannon died on January 12, 2018, ten days after being beaten by a convicted murderer who lived in the building, authorities allege.

The accused man, George Field, 60, continues to fight those allegations in court. His next hearing is on September 19.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6771 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is