CHICAGO — A 15-year-old boy was part of an armed robbery crew that robbed five victims, including an 80-year-old man, during a holdup spree last month, Chicago police said in a charging announcement on Friday morning.
CWBChicago reported that the Saturday, September 23, spree involved a group of between two and four Black males in their teens and early 20s who wore ski masks and dark clothing. They jumped out of cars and targeted victims on the street.
The boy is charged with robbing a 20-year-old man and a 26-year-old woman in the 3000 block of North Tripp in Avondale; a 43-year-old woman in the 1500 block of North Talman in Humboldt Park; an 80-year-old man in the 1900 block of North Spaulding; and a 24-year-old woman in the 3300 block of West Dickens. The last two robberies were in Logan Square.
Chicago cops arrested the boy Thursday in the 200 block of North Albany to face five counts of robbery. No further information is available about him because he is a juvenile.
Robbery sprees have been popping up several times a week, with West Town, Humboldt Park, and Logan Square being particularly hard-hit. Our reporting has been exhaustive (and exhausting), but here are some recent stories:
- 68-year-old man shot, critically injured during possible robbery in Wicker Park (October 5, 2023)
- At least 11 robbed in 2-hour crime spree from Bucktown to Pilsen (October 5, 2023)
- Suspect in custody after Monday morning robbery spree (October 2, 2023)
- Man shot and killed in Noble Square as robbery spree unfolded Sunday morning (October 1, 2023).
- In robbery-plagued Chicago, community meetings draw packed houses, claim of ‘propaganda’ (September 29, 2023)
- 15 daytime armed robberies reported in about 4 hours Tuesday (September 26, 2023)
- More carjackings and robberies keep Chicago cops running from the West Loop to West Ridge (September 26, 2023)
- Solo Chicago cop chases armed robbers across the city: ‘I’m not going to terminate myself until we crash’ (September 25, 2023)
- Robbery victim shot in Humboldt Park as crime sprees continue (September 24, 2023)
- Rifle-wielding crew commits at least 5 robberies in 20 minutes on Saturday morning (September 23, 2023)
- At least 14 robbed in violent, hour-long robbery spree overnight; 78-year-old beaten by muggers (September 21, 2023)
- Armed robbers strike 3 times in about an hour in Boystown, Lakeview, Uptown (September 19, 2023)
- DePaul students among several targeted in North Side robbery spree; more cases reported in Wicker Park, West Town (September 17, 2023)
- Uber driver carjacked, bicyclist mugged, third victim chased by robbers during overnight crime surge (September 11, 2023)
- Chicago police warn about armed robbers they were ordered to stop chasing; some victims waited hours for CPD to show up (September 10, 2023)
- Women attacked, robbed in a series of robberies near DePaul University campus overnight (September 9, 2023)