Man gets 8 years for carjacking and robbing a driver in Logan Square

Deangelo Wiggins | Chicago Police Department

A Chicago man has been sentenced to eight years in prison for robbing and carjacking a man inside a Logan Square garage. He was given an additional four years for two fentanyl distribution cases that he was on bond for at the time of the crime.

Deangelo Wiggins, 24, was found guilty of aggravated vehicular hijacking with a weapon and armed robbery by Judge Arthur Willis. Separately, he pleaded guilty to two counts of manufacture-delivery of fentanyl. Willis gave him concurrent eight-year terms for the robbery and carjacking plus four consecutive years for the drug charges.

The carjacking occurred around 3:28 p.m. on June 25, 2021, in the 1700 block of West Washtenaw.

Prosecutors said a 31-year-old man noticed another car was following him as he drove to his friend’s house to change the oil. As he backed into his friend’s garage, Wiggins allegedly walked up to his car with a gun drawn.

Officials said that Wiggins ordered the driver to lie on the ground and hand over his wallet and keys. The man who owns the garage saw what was happening and called 911 as Wiggins entered the victim’s Lexus and drove away.

Prosecutors said surveillance video clearly showed Wiggins’ face as he approached the victim. Police who had previous contact with Wiggins identified him from the footage, and the victim picked him out of a photo line-up.

Shortly after the carjacking, police issued a community alert that linked the carjacking to four others reported in Bucktown, Avondale, and Logan Square. In the end, Wiggins was only charged with the Washtenaw case.

In the narcotics cases, prosecutors accused Wiggins of selling to undercover officers and having more than $21,000 worth of drugs in his possession when police arrested him on February 16, 2021.

His sentences, which effectively result in a 12-year prison term, will be cut in half for good behavior. With credits earned while in Cook County jail, he is expected to be paroled on May 28, 2027.

About CWBChicago 6003 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com