Video captures part of shooting that left 1 dead, another injured in Noble Square

A gunman shoots toward Milwaukee Avenue from the 1400 block of West Thomas on Friday, November 17, 2023. | Provided

CHICAGO — A barrage of gunfire is heard on surveillance video that captured part of an incident that Chicago police said left one man dead and another seriously injured in Noble Square on Friday morning. The footage, recorded in the 1400 block of West Thomas, was posted on the Ring network and provided to CWBChicago.

Gunshots are already echoing through the streets as the video, shared below, begins. One gunman is seen on the video, shooting east on Thomas toward Milwaukee Avenue. He fires round after round, then turns and runs toward his waiting getaway car as another vehicle is heard speeding away off-camera.

As the gunman hops into the driver’s seat of his car, four more shots appear to be fired from the passenger side of his vehicle.

Chicago police said a 23-year-old man was killed. He has not been identified, but the Cook County medical examiner’s office said he suffered fatal injuries at 1079 North Milwaukee, which is at the intersection of Thomas and Milwaukee.

Police found the victim lying unresponsive next to a bullet-riddled SUV in the 700 block of North Ogden around 3:35 a.m. Investigators saw blood in the vehicle’s back seat.

About a half-hour after they arrived, officers found a second injured man nearby. He’s 26 and had a gunshot wound to his neck, police said.

Cops detained two men who ran when officers spotted them near the abandoned SUV. They were being questioned on Friday morning.

Ald. Daniel La Spata (1st) said this afternoon officials still aren’t sure about what sparked the shooting.

“While most of the details remain unclear  – though we know [the deceased victim was] not a 1st ward resident – we grieve his tragic loss, will work with the 12th district in any ways needed, and continue all efforts to end gun violence in our community,” the alderman said in his weekly newsletter.

Area Three detectives are continuing the investigation.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6555 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com