Migrant charged with felony gun possession is detained by one judge, released by another

CHICAGO — Last weekend, a Cook County judge ordered a Venezuelan migrant to remain jailed as a public safety threat after prosecutors accused him of showing up at a woman’s doorstep with a gun. On Friday, a different judge set him free to await trial without so much as electronic monitoring.

Shortly after midnight on December 2, Chicago police responded to a home in the 1500 block of West 64th Street after a woman reported that a man was banging on her door, saying he had a gun, officials said.

When officers arrived, they saw Emmanuel Quiroz-Marquez, 23, standing across the street from the woman’s address, according to his arrest report. They said he tried to walk away as they approached him. He didn’t go far.

Cops patted him down and found a loaded 9-millimeter “ghost gun” tucked in his waistband, officials said. The woman who called 911 identified him as the man who had been knocking on her door.

Marquez allegedly told officers that he got into an “ongoing dispute” with another migrant family while living at the Englewood (7th) District police station, a couple of blocks from where he was arrested. He said his cousin left the firearm for him to use as “protection,” police said in his arrest report.

Emmanuel Quiroz-Marquez | Chicago Police Department

Officials said Marquez went to the woman’s address looking for his wife, but she was not there. Prosecutors charged him with felony aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.

Judge Susana Ortiz ordered him jailed to await trial last Saturday afternoon. On Friday, though, Judge Lindsay Huge released Marquez from custody with instructions to show up for court and stay out of trouble, according to court records.

Marquez also has a misdemeanor battery case pending in the suburbs. Prosecutors say he hit a woman in the forehead at an Oak Lawn motel on August 10. He failed to show up in court on November 16, court records show. His next hearing in that case is on January 4.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6779 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com