DUI driver killed a woman in expressway crash while awaiting trial for another DUI: prosecutors

Nathaniel McCullor | Illinois State Police

CHICAGO — A Calumet City man has been detained to await trial after prosecutors accused him of killing a woman in a DUI collision while he was awaiting trial in an earlier DUI case.

Nathaniel McCullor, 34, was behind the wheel of a Mercedes that weaved in and out of traffic at high speeds until he slammed into a Hyundai near I-94 and 120th Street early on September 18, 2021, officials said. The impact sent the Hyundai forward into the back of a Range Rover, and some of the vehicles rolled over.

Prosecutor said the Hyundai’s driver, 58-year-old Rosia Evans, was initially responsive at the scene. Her condition worsened at the hospital, and she succumbed to her injuries after undergoing surgery, according to a detention petition filed against McCullor on Sunday.

Witnesses stopped McCullor from leaving the scene, the Illinois State Police said in a media statement on Monday. His medical records from that night showed his blood alcohol content one hour after the crash was .187, officials said. That’s more than twice the legal limit.

Police cited him for several traffic violations and continued investigating the crash. By reviewing the data recorder from McCullor’s car, DNA evidence, and other materials, state police investigators determined that McCullor was the driver responsible for the crash, according to documents filed by prosecutors on Sunday.

The Cook County state’s attorney’s office approved charges of reckless homicide with a motor vehicle and aggravated DUI causing death against McCullor, who surrendered to Chicago police on Friday.

Judge Charles Beach detained McCullor pending trial, noting that McCullor had a misdemeanor DUI case pending at the time of the fatal crash. McCullor also has a case pending in Indiana that accuses him of firing a gun into a building, Beach said in his detention order.

McCullor eventually pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor DUI and received a probation sentence.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6362 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com