61-year-old man charged with mugging woman on Blue Line downtown

CHICAGO — Guy McDonald, a 61-year-old Chicago man who has upwards of 50 cases in his Cook County Court file, including robberies and a carjacking in the ’80s and ’90s, is facing new robbery allegations after prosecutors accused him of attacking and robbing a woman on the Blue Line.

The 25-year-old boarded an inbound train at Oak Park and was alone on the train, playing with her phone, when McDonald stepped aboard around 9 p.m. on February 7, prosecutors say. As they arrived at the Clinton station downtown, McDonald knocked off her glasses, took her phone, and hit her in the body several times, according to the allegations.

They both exited at Clinton, and the woman reported the robbery to CTA employees. She saw McDonald on a security camera feed as she was speaking with the workers and pointed him out as he stepped aboard an outbound train, police said.

The CTA attendant notified the train’s conductor, who stopped at the UIC-Halsted station until police arrived.

As officers detained McDonald, they heard the pinging sound an iPhone makes when it’s placed in lost mode. The sound, the officers said, was coming from McDonald’s pocket. It was the victim’s phone.

Other officers brought the woman to UIC-Halsted to ensure that McDonald was the robber. When she told them that she wouldn’t be able to see the robber without her glasses, McDonald told the cops that he had her glasses in his pocket, CPD’s arrest report said. She ultimately confirmed that he was the assailant, they said.

Guy McDonald (Chicago Police Department)

According to court records, McDonald has a criminal history that includes convictions for two robberies, a carjacking, and possession of a stolen motor vehicle during the 1980s and 1990s. Additionally, he was convicted of aggravated battery of a peace officer in 2004, burglary in 2007, and theft in 2012, all of which are felonies.

He is now charged with robbery again. Judge Ankur Srivastava cited McDonald’s criminal history as one reason he granted the state’s detention petition.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6553 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com