Second man charged with horrific carjacking that killed a Chicago cab driver

Shannant Hamilton and images of one of the hijackers from the cab’s surveillance video. Investigators released the black and white images to the public, hoping someone would recognize the man. (Chicago Police Department)

CHICAGO — A second man is now charged with committing a violent carjacking in January that left a Chicago taxi driver dead.

Don Otis, a 45-year-old cabbie, was asleep in the driver’s seat of his cab in the 400 block of East 71st Street when two carjackers decided to take his vehicle around 3:30 a.m. on January 28. Prosecutors said surveillance video showed the hijackers breaking Otis’ driver-side window and ordering him to “get the f**k out.”

The men grabbed Otis, pulled him from his seat, and left him lying in the traffic lanes of 71st Street, according to detention petitions filed against the accused men. As the hijackers drove away with the cab, an oncoming car struck Otis and dragged him for nearly a mile, prosecutors said.

Otis lost a third of his skin and suffered a broken arm and a broken jaw. He remained on life support for over a month before succumbing to his injuries on March 3, officials said.

Chicago police retrieved video from Otis’ in-car surveillance system and released images of the hijackers to the public in February, hoping someone would recognize them. Prosecutors said members of the public identified two men: Darnell Ingram, 25, who was charged last month, and Shannant Hamilton, 30, who was arrested on March 14.

In a detention petition against Hamilton, prosecutors stated that he “made admissions to a witness.”

He is charged with first-degree murder, murder during the commission of a forcible felony, murder through an act with a strong probability of death, and aggravated vehicular hijacking with a firearm.

Judge William Fahy granted the state’s detention request for Hamilton. Judge Barbara Dawkins detained Ingram in February.

A woman who was allegedly seen riding in Otis’ car after the hijacking has been charged with burglary.

About CWBChicago 6553 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com