Gunman in expressway shooting was on bail for possessing a firearm during Mag Mile looting, prosecutors say

Byron Moore (Cook County sheriff’s office)

CHICAGO — A man on bail for allegedly possessing a firearm during the August 2020 looting and riots on the Magnificent Mile shot another man during a road rage confrontation on the Dan Ryan Expressway near Chinatown two years ago, prosecutors now say.

Byron Moore, 28, continues to fight the 2020 gun charge as well as a second gun case that he picked up last year, according to court records. Despite having two gun cases pending, a judge released him on electronic monitoring to await trial in the shooting case.

Moore is the 62nd person accused of shooting, killing, or trying to shoot or kill someone in Chicago in 2022 while on felony pretrial release. The crimes involved at least 107 victims, 29 of whom died.

Police who responded to a looting call at Louis Vuitton, 909 North Michigan, during the August 2020 uprising saw several people piling into a Chrysler 200 that sped from the scene with Moore behind the wheel, prosecutors allege.

The car happened to have been parked under a street light, so cops were able to see a handgun with an extended ammunition magazine sticking out of Moore’s waistband before he fled, a prosecutor said during Moore’s bail hearing. Cops pursued the Chrysler, which crashed, and officers arrested Moore nearby. A gun with an extended magazine was allegedly found on the driver’s seat of his car.

Moore, who was on parole for a 2017 charge of being a felon in possession of a firearm, is charged with Class X armed habitual criminal in connection with the allegations.

Last April, prosecutors charged him with another count of armed habitual criminal and possessing a machine gun after Chicago police said they found him in possession of a firearm during a traffic stop in the 2100 block of East 67th Street.

He was the front-seat passenger, and cops saw an open bottle of tequila on the floorboard nearby, according to his arrest report.

Moore “began sweating profusely from his forehead” with his hands “shaking uncontrollably while attempting to use his phone to contact his lawyer,” an officer wrote in the report. He twice refused to get out of the car, police alleged. When the cops opened the door to remove him, they saw a loaded handgun equipped with a laser sight and an automatic fire switch, according to the allegations.

He eventually went home on electronic monitoring by posting a $15,000 bail deposit.

Both cases were scheduled for a bench trial on May 9.

Now, prosecutors have charged Moore with shooting a 24-year-old man during an altercation on the Dan Ryan near Archer late on April 29, 2022. Troopers responding to shots fired found the passenger of a crashed Jeep with gunshot wounds to his neck, shoulder, and leg, according to court filings. The Jeep was one of several vehicles at the scene involved in a crash.

Witnesses told troopers that the gunman fled from a wrecked blue 2017 Mercedes that was still at the scene, according to Moore’s arrest report. Troopers found Moore’s phone inside the Mercedes and blood on the car’s airbag matched him, the report said.

Police arrested Moore this month on a charge of aggravated battery with a firearm. According to court records, prosecutors did not ask Judge Ankur Srivastava to detain more before trial. The judge released him back onto electronic monitoring.

The “not horrible” series

This report continues our coverage of individuals accused of killing, shooting, or trying to kill or shoot others awaiting trial for a felony allegation. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “We haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative.

The actual number of murders and shootings committed by people awaiting trial for felony allegations is undoubtedly much higher than the numbers seen here. Since 2017, CPD has brought charges in less than 5% of non-fatal shootings and 33% of murders, according to the city’s data.

Previous reporting

2024 “not horrible” cases

2023 “not horrible” cases

2022 “not horrible” cases

2021 “not horrible” cases

2020 “not horrible” cases

2019 “not horrible” cases

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6553 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com