Chicago murder victim shot his own killer, then a passerby took the victim’s gun and shot the murderer some more, officials say

Quijuan Lewis, left, and Delegance Crawl (Chicago Police Department, National Gun Violence Memorial)

CHICAGO — Officials say a murder victim managed to shoot his killer before dying, and, after the murderer fled, a passerby took the victim’s gun, hunted down the killer, and shot some more. It all happened last Friday afternoon in the 7400 block of South Euclid, according to Chicago police and prosecutors.

Quijuan Lewis, a 20-year-old on parole for less than two months for a gun conviction, got out of a car and crouched behind a vehicle as the victim, 36-year-old Delegance Crawl, walked down the street, prosecutors said in a detention petition.

Crawl was walking and looking at his phone when Lewis jumped out from behind the vehicle and attacked him, the petition said. Lewis allegedly struck Crawl in the head with a gun multiple times as they fought on the street. Crawl eventually pulled out his own gun.

Ultimately, prosecutors say, Lewis shot Crawl in the back of the head. And Crawl shot Lewis in the leg. As Crawl lay gravely wounded, Lewis ran to a nearby gas station for help and stashed his gun in a potato chip display, according to police and prosecutors.

Back at the shooting scene, a passerby who has not been identified picked up Crawl’s gun from beside his motionless body and marched over to the gas station. They used Crawl’s gun to shoot Lewis “multiple” times in the buttocks and then ran away, officials said in court filings.

Chicago cops allegedly recovered Lewis’ gun from amongst the potato chip bags and subsequently secured a first-degree murder charge against him.

Judge William Fahy granted the state’s detention petition.

Given the allegations, state officials are also reviewing Lewis’ parole status.

He received a one-year sentence in mid-January after pleading guilty to unlawful use of a weapon, according to court records. But, with the state’s standard 50% good behavior discount and credits earned while in custody, he was released from prison on January 18, the same day he arrived.

In that case, Chicago cops said Lewis and other men ran from a potentially stolen vehicle in the 1900 block of East 75th Street on September 13, 2023. The officers said he had two guns: one in a crossbody bag and another that the cops found sliding down his pants leg.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6553 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is