Prosecutors nix felony charges after concealed carry holder fired shots in Rogers Park alley: Chicago police report

Javonta Williams (Chicago Police Department, Illinois State Police)

CHICAGO — Prosecutors rejected felony charges against a concealed-carry holder who allegedly fired shots in a Rogers Park alley last week, according to Chicago police. Instead, Javonta Williams, 36, is charged only with a misdemeanor count of carrying a concealed firearm while under the influence. He was released from the Rogers Park (24th) District police station less than six hours after being arrested.

Officers responded to the 2300 block of West Howard around 2 a.m. last Friday, February 23, after a 911 caller reported that someone fired shots in the alley, Williams’ arrest report said. The cops found Williams walking in the area and stopped him because he matched the description of the gunman, according to the report.

After the officers recovered an unholstered handgun from his coat pocket, Williams allegedly claimed a black Jeep was following him at the time of the incident. But a witness told police that they saw Williams “haphazardly” raise the gun into the air and fire three rounds, the report said. The officers said they found three shell casings in the alley and another one on a nearby street.

According to the arrest report, officers “detected a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage emanating” from Williams during their encounter. He allegedly told them that he had consumed “multiple” alcoholic beverages at a bar shortly before the officers arrived.

The officers tried to administer a breathalyzer at the police station, but Williams was “unable to render a complete sample,” but the device did detect “mouth alcohol,” the report said.

CPD asked prosecutors to charge Williams with endangering others by recklessly discharging a firearm, but their request was rejected. An assistant state’s attorney said they needed to see video of what happened in the ally, the arrest report said.

About CWBChicago 6882 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com