Social media tips about child porn sharing led cops to Chicago man, prosecutors say

Cristhian Basabe (Cook County sheriff’s office)

CHICAGO — A series of tips to a national child protection hotline by two social networks about suspected child pornography being exchanged on their platforms led investigators to a Chicago man, prosecutors say.

Prosecutors revealed details of the allegations during a detention hearing for 23-year-old Cristhian Basabe last Thursday. Basabe’s appearance ended with Judge William Fahy ordering him detained to await trial to protect the community.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) received its first tip about the cases in October 2021 from Kik, a messaging app, regarding a user named suprakillah_6b5. The account was suspected of transmitting child pornography on its system in July of that year, according to prosecutors and Basabe’s arrest report.

Later that year, Snapchat contacted NCMEC with similar concerns about an account named senorcristhian, the report said.

Search warrants executed on the accounts revealed explicit images and videos involving minors, including some that showed Basabe, prosecutors said in a detention petition. Investigators linked Basabe to the accounts through IP addresses and network connections, the petition said.

In addition to Kik’s first notification, the company contacted NCMEC about other accounts Basabe allegedly operated in 2022 and 2023 under the names blingblingboy07_hx7, blingboy_pji, and blingblingdeeznutz_81z, CPD’s report said.

Investigators who arrested Basabe last week found evidence on his phone confirming he transmitted child pornography to others via text, the petition said. The videos included some of Basabe performing a sex act on a girl under 18, prosecutors alleged in the petition.

He is charged with two counts of reproducing child pornography and two counts of possessing pornographic photos of a child.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6781 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com