3 years for man accused of sexually abusing woman at CTA station

James Blue (Illinois Department of Corrections, Zol87)

CHICAGO — The man accused of sexually abusing a woman at the UIC-Halsted Blue Line station last summer has been handed a three-year sentence.

James Blue, 43, reached a deal with prosecutors allowing him to plead guilty to aggravated battery in a public place in exchange for the sentence from Judge Tyria Walton. The state dropped aggravated criminal sexual abuse and a second aggravated battery charge, according to court records.

Officials said a 28-year-old woman was walking on the platform when Blue came up behind her around 8:45 a.m. on July 1. In a police report, officers said he grabbed her private area with both hands while pushing her up the ramp at the end of the platform.

The woman punched him in the face and got away. But Blue chased the woman—until she blasted him with pepper spray, prosecutors said. Chicago police arrested Blue in the area a short time later.

After receiving the state’s standard 50% sentence reduction for good behavior plus credits earned in the county jail, Blue is expected to be paroled on December 26.

Court records show he was convicted of felony aggravated battery in a public place in 2019 and aggravated battery of a peace officer in 2021. He received probation in 2019 and a three-year sentence for the more recent case. He was convicted of residential burglary in 2004.

About CWBChicago 6713 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com