Man wearing ankle monitor for allegedly shooting a dog to death ran from Chicago cops holding a machine gun: prosecutors

CHICAGO — One week after Illinois eliminated cash bail last September, prosecutors asked a judge to detain Darrick Bender as a public safety threat after accusing him of shooting and killing a dog, then tossing a gun while running from Chicago police. The judge, Mary Marubio, rejected the state’s petition. Instead, she released Darrick Bender, 19, with a nighttime curfew and a court-operated ankle monitor.

Bender was arrested again a couple of weeks ago. Officials say he tossed a machine gun over a fence while running from Chicago police after curfew. This time, a different judge decided to keep him in jail.

Late on September 24, Chicago police responding to a ShotSpotter alert in the 5000 block of South La Crosse were informed that a 911 caller reported that a man had shot his dog just one address away from where the ShotSpotter said a gun had been fired, according to a Bender’s CPD arrest report.

The officers saw two men matching the descriptions of the suspects and tried to talk with them. But the men ran, and two officers chased one of them, allegedly Bender.

Darrick Bender (Chicago Police Department)

Police said Bender ran behind a home and threw a backpack over a fence. They caught him moments later. The backpack contained a loaded 9-millimeter handgun equipped with a laser sight, loose ammunition, and two 50-round drum magazines, according to the report.

A 42-year-old man identified Bender as the man who shot his American Staffordshire Terrier in the head, the report said. It died.

Bender went home the next day with a new ankle monitor and a nighttime curfew.

Now, prosecutors say, Bender was on the streets after curfew, around 8:15 p.m. . on March 25, with a machine gun.

Responding to a robbery call, CPD officers saw two men who allegedly matched the suspects’ descriptions. They ran when the officers exited their squad car to talk with them.

During the foot chase, one of the men, allegedly Bender, pulled out a firearm and threw it over a fence into a back yard in the 4500 block of South Laporte, officials said. After catching Bender, the police returned to the yard and recovered a Glock 17 handgun outfitted with a 30-round ammunition magazine and an illegal switch that could turn it into a machine gun, prosecutors said.

The officers noted in his arrest report that he was wearing an ankle monitor at the time. The robbery victim told the police that he was not the guy who robbed him.

Prosecutors charged him with unlawful use of a machine gun, and they asked Judge Charles Beach to detain Bender as a safety threat. Beach agreed, pointing to the fact that Bender is already accused of shooting a dog to death and that he was allegedly on the street after Marubio’s curfew.

About CWBChicago 6713 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is