Man shot victim during 2023 robbery while having an active carjacking case, officials say

Ivon Wright (Chicago Police Department)

CHICAGO — Prosecutors have charged a Chicago man with shooting another man during an armed robbery in February 2023, a crime allegedly committed while the accused man had a vehicular hijacking case pending in juvenile court.

Ivon Wright is the 36th person charged with murder, attempted murder, or trying to shoot someone in Chicago last year while having another active felony case. The crimes involved 52 victims, 18 of whom died.

Wright and a 15-year-old boy followed the 32-year-old victim out of a store in the 10900 block of South Vernon around 7:51 p.m. on February 18, 2023, officials said. They approached him from behind, pointed guns at him, and took his phone and earbuds, according to the allegations.

During the robbery, Wright fired his gun, striking the victim in the hip, causing serious injuries, prosecutors said. A Ring doorbell camera and the store’s security system recorded the crime and the moments leading up to it.

Chicago police arrested Wright last week as he rode in an Uber. According to his arrest report, police found a backpack containing three pistols in the area where he was seated. Two of the guns had been reported stolen, the report said. Wright allegedly admitted that he carried one of the guns “for protection.”

Judge Charles Beach detained Wright. He is charged with attempted first-degree murder, aggravated battery by discharging a firearm, armed robbery with a firearm, and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.

The 15-year-old boy was charged in the case last year. He was arrested at the county’s juvenile justice center, suggesting he also had other pending criminal matters. The public cannot access the records, though, because his attempted murder and robbery case is filed in juvenile court.

The “not horrible” series

This report continues our coverage of individuals accused of killing, shooting, or trying to kill or shoot others awaiting trial for a felony allegation. CWBChicago began our series of reports in November 2019 after Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans publicly stated, “We haven’t had any horrible incidents occur” under the court’s bond reform initiative.

The actual number of murders and shootings committed by people awaiting trial for felony allegations is undoubtedly much higher than the numbers seen here. Since 2017, Cook County prosecutors have approved charges in less than 5% of non-fatal shootings and 33% of murders, according to the city’s data.

Previous reporting

2024 “not horrible” cases

2023 “not horrible” cases

2022 “not horrible” cases

2021 “not horrible” cases

2020 “not horrible” cases

2019 “not horrible” cases

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6713 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com