2 charged with double shooting outside Morse Red Line. One’s on parole for a 2015 shooting on the same block

CHICAGO — Prosecutors have charged two men with a double shooting that left one man dead and a bystander injured near the Morse Red Line station last month. One of the men is on parole for attempted murder for a 2015 shooting that occurred about a block away from the latest case. A woman was unintentionally killed in that shooting.

Prosecutors said Deandre Loveless, 30, picked up 21-year-old Jamarr Hill and a second person in a rental car on the morning of April 9 and drove to a currency exchange near the Howard CTA station.

About 20 minutes later, around 11:15 a.m., Loveless drove to the Morse Red Line station and waited for James Smith Jr., their intended target, to come out of a nearby Dunkin’, according to the state’s detention proffer.

As Smith emerged from the Dunkin’, Loveless pulled the rental car forward so Hill could “spring his attack from the front passenger seat,” the proffer continued.

Jamarr Hill, left, and Deandre Loveless. (Chicago Police Department, Google)

Hill got out, chased Smith, and shot him to death in the 6900 block of North Glenwood, prosecutors claim. Bullets also struck a 41-year-old man walking a dog in the area. He sought help inside a nearby bar.

Smith, 33, died from multiple gunshot wounds. The other man survived gunshot and fragment injuries.

Prosecutors said Hill returned to the rental car, which sped away to the 800 block of West Eastwood, where everyone in the car met with a fourth person about 12 minutes after the shooting.

About two hours after the murder, Loveless returned the rental car and rented a different vehicle, according to prosecutors.

The proffer said Chicago police used rental car records, cell phone GPS histories, the rental car’s entertainment system history, license plate reader data, and video from homes, schools, businesses, and city cameras to identify Loveless and Hill.

Both men were arrested this week.

Both men are charged with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, and aggravated battery with a deadly weapon. Judge Mary Marubio detained them on Friday to await trial.

Court records show Hill received probation for a felony stolen motor vehicle case in February.

But Loveless is on parole for a shooting that occurred in the 1500 block of West Morse in 2015. In that case, prosecutors said Loveless and another man were trying to shoot the passenger in a car when they instead shot the vehicle’s driver, 42-year-old Carla Martinez. Their intended target, a 19-year-old man, was shot in the ankle.

Martinez was paralyzed from the neck down, and doctors amputated her legs due to complications from injuries she suffered when she crashed the car after being shot. After Martinez crashed, a third person emerged from her car and shot back at Loveless and the other man, prosecutors said. Prosecutors said he identified Loveless and the other man as the shooters after police arrested him. He eventually received a six-year sentence.

Loveless and the other man were charged with attempted murder in 2016.

Around the same time, according to court records, a judge lowered Loveless’ bail from $1 million to $150,000 due to concerns about the emergence of COVID-19 at Cook County jail. He went home on electronic monitoring by posting 10% of the bail.

A few months later, he was arrested again after electronic monitoring agents allegedly found evidence of marijuana distribution during a search of his home.

The following month, prosecutors upgraded the charges to first-degree murder after Martinez died from her injuries, and a judge held Loveless without bail. But, in February 2021, Judge Thomas Hennelly agreed to reduce bail to $200,000. Loveless walked out of jail the same day—without electronic monitoring this time—after posting a 10% deposit, court records show.

Police arrested Loveless again six months later after allegedly seeing him sell drugs on a Rogers Park street corner. Prosecutors said he had a baggie containing suspected crack in his waistband along with $233 cash. Once again, he was jailed and held without bail.

The murder finally concluded with Loveless and the other man each pleading guilty to attempted murder.

Judge Joanne Rosado sentenced both men to eight years in prison. Loveless reported to prison on February 1, 2022. After receiving credits, he walked out of prison a couple of months later, on April 18, according to Illinois Department of Corrections records. He remains on parole for the 2015 case.

About CWBChicago 6713 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com