Charges filed following string of random attacks, carjacking attempt in the Loop

Gianni Fort-Knox, also known as Manon Lafear. (Chicago Police Department)

CHICAGO — A Loop resident has been detained as a public safety threat after prosecutors said they tried to carjack a driver and randomly attacked two other people within minutes of each other. The alleged incidents started around 2:45 p.m. on June 10.

Gianni Fort-Knox, also known as Manon Lafear, started by striking a 33-year-old man in the head with a bottle and a walking cane on the 400 block of South Michigan, officials said. 

Another man told police that Fort-Knox struck him in the nose with a cane near State and Van Buren.

Moments later, Fort-Knox confronted a 42-year-old man who was behind the wheel of a 2024 Audi in the first block of East Van Buren, officials said. Claiming to have a gun, Fort-Knox demanded money from the driver, who handed over two key fobs and slid across the center console to exit from the passenger door, according to prosecutors. 

Fort-Knox allegedly tried to drive the Audi away, but couldn’t figure out how to operate it.

Another person told police that Fort-Knox shattered his pickup truck windshield with a cane, also in the first block of East Van Buren.

Prosecutors charged Fort-Knox with armed robbery, attempted vehicular hijacking, aggravated battery causing great bodily harm, misdemeanor battery, and misdemeanor criminal damage. The state’s detention petition was granted by Judge David Kelly.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6859 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com