Man fired shot while trying to hijack a disabled car on Chicago expressway: prosecutors

George Goings (Cook County Sheriff’s Office)

CHICAGO — Prosecutors have charged a man with firing a gun as he tried to hijack a disabled car on a Chicago expressway this week.

Three people were with a disabled Mercedes on Southbound I-57 near Wentworth when George Goings, 30, tried to carjack the vehicle on Tuesday, prosecutors said.

During the hijacking attempt, Goings fired a gun down the expressway, striking a random car, Judge Ankur Srivastava said in a detention order.

Prosecutors said Goings admitted to firing the weapon and the victim of the failed hijacking identified Goings in a photo lineup.

Srivastava said Goings was discharged from parole for a gun offense just last month, another factor that convinced him to keep Goings in custody. Video and shell casings corroborate the allegations, according to Srivastava’s order.

Goings is charged with armed habitual criminal, attempted vehicular hijacking, vehicular invasion, and aggravated discharge toward an occupied vehicle.

About CWBChicago 6859 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com