Parolee slashed and stabbed a sleeping man on the Green Line, attacked 2 others, officials say

Ivan Weldon (Chicago Police Department)

CHICAGO — We are learning new details about an attack on the Green Line that resulted in attempted murder charges being filed earlier this month.

Court records show that 42-year-old Ivan Weldon is also accused of attacking two other CTA passengers that same evening. The documents also indicate that he was on parole for robbing a Loop convenience store at the time.

All of the alleged attacks occurred on the evening of May 31. In the most serious case, Weldon is accused of using a box cutter to stab and slice the neck of a 48-year-old man who was sleeping on a Green Line train near Garfield, according to court records.

The victim received about 30 stitches from his ear to his neck, prosecutors said. He also suffered ligament damage that prevents him from effectively using his right hand.

Weldon allegedly attacked two men at the 35th-Bronzeville-ITT Green Line station, too. He punched one man in the mouth in the station vestibule, a criminal complaint said.

He grabbed the other man by the victim’s backpack and threw him to the station platform, according to a separate complaint. Weldon allegedly kicked the man in the face while he was down.

CTA surveillance camera operators spotted Weldon about four hours later at the Clark-Lake Blue Line station. Chicago police officers arrested him there and recovered a box cutter from his hoodie pocket, according to his arrest report.

Weldon allegedly spat in the face and on the head of one of the officers as they escorted him from the station.

Judge Shauna Boliker detained Weldon, calling him a threat to public safety. He is charged with attempted first-degree murder, seven counts of aggravated battery, and misdemeanor theft for turnstile jumping. State officials are also reviewing his parole status in light of the new allegations.

Weldon was sentenced to three years for robbery on March 6 after he pleaded guilty to robbing the 7-Eleven at 48 North Wells on December 18, 2020. Prosecutors said he warned the store clerk to “back off, I have a gun” as he took tobacco, alcohol, and food items.

Cops arrested him at the Adams-Wabash CTA station shortly after the robbery.

According to Illinois Department of Corrections records, Weldon arrived at the Stateville Correctional Center the day after his sentence. He left the same day after having his sentence reduced due to good behavior and credits earned before sentencing.

When the 2020 robbery occurred, Weldon was on parole for attacking a CTA supervisor. That also happened at the Adams-Wabash station.

Original reporting you’ll see nowhere else, paid for by our readers. Click here to support our work.

About CWBChicago 6796 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is