Cook County Crime Stoppers is offering a $10,000 reward for information that leads to the arrests of offenders responsible for committing a series of robberies in Streeterville since Dec. 24.
A resident of the lakefront neighborhood donated the money to the crime-fighting group with a request that it be used to encourage someone to come forward with information that helps police arrest the robbery crew, Crime Stoppers Chairman George McDade said in a statement.
“This act of kindness is not only inspiring but also demonstrates the concern and care for others,” McDade said.
The robbery crew has mugged at least 12 victims in 10 separate attacks, with many of the incidents happening along the 800 and 900 blocks of Dewitt Place near the lakefront.
Most recently, the robbers knocked a 70-year-old woman to the ground and robbed her as she walked in the 800 block of North Dewitt on Jan. 16.
The same group is also believed to be responsible for nine other robberies and attempts in the immediate area:
- in the 900 block of North Dewitt at 11:04 p.m. on Dec. 24
- in the 200 block of East Pearson at 10:30 p.m. on Dec. 30
- in the 800 block of North Dewitt around 10:30 p.m. on Dec. 30
- in the 800 block of North Dewitt at 10:30 a.m. on Jan. 2
- in the 900 block of North Dewitt at about 6 p.m. on Jan. 3
- in the 200 block of East Chestnut at 8:35 p.m. on Jan. 6
- in the 200 block of East Delaware at 7:40 p.m. on Jan. 8
- in the 1000 block of North LaSalle at 7:45 p.m. on Jan. 8
- in the 200 block of East Walton at 7:50 p.m. on Jan. 8
Police said in a series of community alerts that the offenders are two to three black males in their early- to mid-20’s who stand 5’6” to 5’10” tall and weigh 145 to 185 pounds.
Anyone with information about the crimes may contact Cook County Crime Stoppers at 800-525-7867.