A robbery crew that has been trolling the Streeterville neighborhood since Dec. 24 struck again on Thursday afternoon, according to a police department source.
According to a management email sent to residents of a nearby residential high-rise and information from a police spokesperson, the victim noticed a maroon Chrysler 300 following her slowly as she walked on the 800 block of North Dewitt around 12:40 p.m.
Suddenly, a man jumped out of the car’s passenger seat, used his shoulder to knock the 70-year-old woman to the ground, and took her purse, a CPD spokesperson.
The newer-model Chrysler 300, which bears a license plate that begins with BK607, was recently reported stolen in south suburban Harvey. Police said the robbery crew’s two previous getaway cars, a white Jeep and a Kia sedan, were reported stolen in Homer Glen and Lockport respectively.
Police said in a community alert last week that the offenders are two to three black males in their early- to mid-20’s who stand 5’6” to 5’10” tall and weigh 145 to 185 pounds.
Witnesses to Thursday’s attack reported that the Chrysler was occupied by three people and, as in previous robberies, it sped away southbound on Lake Shore Drive after the mugging.
In addition to Thursday’s case, the crew is believed to be responsible for robbing eleven other people in nine earlier muggings:
- in the 900 block of North Dewitt at 11:04 p.m. on Dec. 24
- in the 200 block of East Pearson at 10:30 p.m. on Dec. 30
- in the 800 block of North Dewitt around 10:30 p.m. on Dec. 30
- in the 800 block of North Dewitt at 10:30 a.m. on Jan. 2
- in the 900 block of North Dewitt at about 6 p.m. on Jan. 3
- in the 200 block of East Chestnut at 8:35 p.m. on Jan. 6
- in the 200 block of East Delaware at 7:40 p.m. on Jan. 8
- in the 1000 block of North LaSalle at 7:45 p.m. on Jan. 8
- in the 200 block of East Walton at 7:50 p.m. on Jan. 8
Anyone with information about the robberies can contact Area Central detectives at 312-747-8380 regarding pattern P20-1-009B.