Update: Old Town high-rise fires set by “minor resident,” management says

A juvenile has been identified as the culprit responsible for setting a series of fires in the Eugenie Terrace high-rise residences at 1730 North Clark in recent weeks. That’s according to an email sent to tenants by building management.

“The individual was a resident minor who has been permanently removed from the property,” according to the email. No criminal charges had been filed as of Monday evening.

On Feb. 1, an automatic alarm drew fire personnel to a garbage can that had been set ablaze on the 29th floor. Investigators classified the fire as arson.

Then, around 5:20 p.m. on Sunday, a pile of clothing was set ablaze inside a stairwell on the 31st floor. The fire department quickly handled the incident.

Please support CWBChicago’s reporting efforts with a monthly or annual subscription. Members-only perks await!

A resident of the building told CWBChicago that the building experienced four fires in recent weeks, but records show only the Feb. 1 and Feb. 9 cases were officially declared arson.

Building managers told residents in Monday’s email that they installed cameras and hired security personnel to patrol stairwells “over the past few weeks” due to the fires.

“Now that the perpetrator has been identified and removed, these incidents should now cease,” the email said.

About CWBChicago 6795 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com