- Video: Looters pillage Mag Mile and Loop in social media-fueled riot
- Watch: Twitter videos document overnight looting and riots in Chicago
- Mayor, top cop demand action from prosecutors after 100 arrested in overnight looting, riots
- Police release details of second shooting during Monday riots.
- One alderman blasts Foxx, another targets Lightfoot after looters demolish downtown
A 20-year-old man was shot when he tried to drive away from a carjacking attempt in the Loop during widespread looting and rioting early Monday, according to Chicago police.
The victim was sitting in a car on the 200 block of South Wabash when a gunman walked up and demanded control of the vehicle around 1:48 a.m., CPD said in a media statement. Police said the offender opened fire when the victim put the car into gear and tried to drive away.
An ambulance transported the victim to Northwestern Memorial Hospital with a gunshot wound to his back. His condition has stabilized, according to CPD.
Police did not release a description of the gunman. Area Three detectives are investigating.