Chicago police have updated their recent warning about robberies in the West Loop and West Town after two more cases were reported.
In each of the crimes, one or two men attacked and robbed women after striking up conversations with the victims who were walking alone during midday and evening hours, police said. Some victims were thrown to the ground and physically attacked while the two most recent cases involved handguns, according to CPD.
The two latest robberies were reported in about 15 minutes Tuesday. December 15:
- At 11:55 a.m., a man displayed a handgun and robbed a woman in the 1100 block of West Ohio. Witnesses saw the robber get away in a blue SUV.
- At 12:10 p.m., an armed man robbed a woman in the 1700 block of West Pearson and fled in a blue SUV
Police have linked four earlier robberies to the pattern:
- In the 400 block of North Aberdeen at 12:50 p.m. December 6, a man battered a woman, took her purse, and fled westbound on Hubbard Street in a blue vehicle
- In the 200 block of South Aberdeen at 6:15 p.m. December 10, a man who appeared to be taking photos on the sidewalk suddenly attacked a woman as she passed by, according to a witness. He fled in a blue vehicle.
- In the first block of North Racine at 1:30 p.m. on December 10, two men knocked a woman to the ground and took her purse. They reportedly fled in a blue SUV.
- In the 1000 block of West Grand at 7:40 p.m. on December 10, a man punched a woman in the jaw and took her purse. He then ran southbound on Carpenter Street.
The updated community alert includes two suspect descriptions:
- A Black male between 20- and 30-years-old who stands 5’8” to 6-feet tall. He weighs about 150 pounds and has been seen wearing dark clothes, a mask, and brown or tan work boots
- A Black male who wore dark clothing and a mask
Anyone with information about the crimes can contact Area Three detectives at 312-744-8263 regarding pattern P20-3-220.
Back CWB’s reporting team and we’ll reward you with members-only reports and services all year long. Join HERE for just $49 a year.