Violent teen shot Boystown robbery victim and a robbery witnesses in Edgewater, cops say

A 17-year-old boy shot who shot a man during a robbery in Boystown last month is also responsible for shooting a witness during a robbery in Edgewater last week, according to Chicago police.

When cops arrested the teen Wednesday morning, he was in possession of three stolen cars, two of which were taken in Boystown, according to CPD reports.

Police said in a media statement that the teen is responsible for shooting a 60-year-old man who yelled at two armed robbers as they mugged a woman on the 5900 block of North Glenwood around 10 p.m. last Thursday, January 13.

The robbery victim, 34, told police that two young males grabbed her from behind, and one held her while the other took her purse just after 10 p.m. on the 5900 block of North Glenwood, according to a CPD report.

A man who saw the robbery unfolding yelled at the perpetrators, and one of them fired a shot, striking him in the left leg, police said.

Prosecutors charged the 17-year-old with aggravated battery with a firearm and armed robbery in connection with the incident, said Kellie Bartoli, a CPD spokesperson.

She said the teen is also responsible for shooting a 28-year-old man during a robbery on the 600 block of West Buckingham in Boystown at 11:25 p.m. on December 28.

The man was walking with another man and a woman, both 27, when a group of robbers stepped out of a dark sedan that stopped in the street, police said after the robbery. But the robbers turned violent when the victims failed to comply with orders to turn over their phones and wallets. They began beating the victims, and one offender — allegedly the 17-year-old — fired a shot, striking the older man in the buttocks.

The other two victims suffered facial swelling and bruising, and the robbers got away with the victims’ valuables, including phones and the woman’s purse.

Bartoli said the teen is charged with armed robbery and armed robbery with the discharge of a firearm causing bodily harm in connection with the case.

About 90 minutes after the robbery on Buckingham, a 30-year-old man was shot by a group of robbers who confronted him and his girlfriend on the 400 block of West Aldine, just a couple of blocks from the first robbery scene. The teen has not been charged with that attack.

Prosecutors also charged the boy with possessing three stolen cars. Bartoli said they were stolen from the 700 block of West Buckingham on December 10, the 2100 block of South Michigan on December 28, and the 500 block of West Aldine on January 13.

A CPD source said they believe the teen was the primary driver of physical violence in a series of robberies that claimed more than 60 victims across the North Side since January.

Chicago police have not released further information about the teen’s identity because he is a juvenile.

Our original reporting is 100% reader-funded. Please contribute to our operating fund or purchase a subscription today.

About CWBChicago 6697 Articles
CWBChicago was created in 2013 by five residents of Wrigleyville and Boystown who had grown disheartened with inaccurate information that was being provided at local Community Policing (CAPS) meetings. Our coverage area has expanded since then to cover Lincoln Park, River North, The Loop, Uptown, and other North Side Areas. But our mission remains unchanged: To provide original public safety reporting with better context and greater detail than mainstream media outlets. Our editorial email address is news@cwbchicago.com